What things are important for you to know about this important “black box” under your hood or in your trunk? First; every auto battery has a life expectancy. Depending on the brand, you can usually expect anywhere from 3-4 years of life from a mid-range to good battery.
If you purchased a pre-owned vehicle more than 3 years old and there was no documentation about battery age included, it may be a good idea to pay for auto battery analysis. This will verify the strength or weakness of a given battery and can be done at any auto repair facility and even some retail auto parts suppliers.
Second; that life expectancy of your vehicle’s battery can be shortened by problems with other components or systems on your vehicle and even some environmental issues. Below is a list of some of the more common items that draw down the charge or interfere with the recharging that normally happens during drive time:
- Over or undercharging by the alternator
- Repeatedly leaving overhead or door lights on overnight
- A starting problem that results in a prolonged crank
- Intermittent electrical connection failures between charging and starting system components
- Extremes in temperature, both hot and cold
Every one of the above items is a secondary cause of what ends in battery failure.
Third; charging and starting system diagnosis by a skilled technician can give you the information you need to decide if it’s time to replace your aging battery before it fails. The worst time for it to fail is when you are left stranded.
During the stress of temperature extremes is frequently the straw that breaks the camel’s back and puts a weak battery over the edge. The result is inconvenient and expensive for you as you wait for a tow vehicle, or inconvenient for a friend or family member who you call on for assistance.
If you can say yes to one or more of the items on the above list, now may be the time to have your auto battery analyzed. At Dale’s, we can provide prompt assessment by one of our ASE certified technicians who can recommend the best course of action to keep you on the road.
Call to schedule or visit our online appointment page to request service for your vehicle. We’ve been serving the community for over 49 years at our Boise auto repair location. Let us be your one-stop automotive repair and maintenance facility.
Advantages of auto repair service at Dale’s Auto Care:
- Napa AutoCare Center
- Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed
- Over 470 SureCritic Customer Reviews
- ASE Certified Technicians and Mechanics
- 24 month / 24,000 Mile National Warranty
- Accepted by Most Extended Warranty Providers
- Conveniently Located in Boise Near the Airport